The Fondation Haïtienne de Développement Agricole Durable whose acronym is FONHDAD is a nonprofit organization composed by National School of Agronomy (FAMV),Quisqueya University (UNIQ), Episcopal University (UNEPH), private sector and producers’ associations in the Cul-de-Sac. It aimed at modernizing Haitian agriculture through the introduction of modern agricultural practices, improved inputs and innovative equipments in order to reach better yields and provide quality agricultural products to Haitian market.
FONHDAD under the supervision of the MARNDR is managing the Bas Boen rural center for sustainable development (CRDD) which is a demonstration, training and applied research center set up by USAID/HAITI (WINNER project). The CRDD of Bas Boen is a 5 hectare property, owned by the Government of Haiti which made it available for the project. The facilities at the center include
- An administration and laboratory building. The laboratory established in partnership with University of Florida, provides soil analysis, Water analysis mainly for irrigation purpose, pest and disease diagnosis as well as basic food technology services,
- A training facility built to receive 40 farmers or students;
- A dormitory for 30 students
- A farm to perform applied research
Since the transfer of the CRDD in April 2014, FONHDAD has started providing technical assistance and logistic to collect soil samples for the Haiti Soil Survey Pilot Initiative of Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) as part of the program USDA/PASA. Due to this successful partnership, the Foundation is committed to analyze collected soil samples, manage and supervise soils testing activities of Public works and FAMV laboratories for the next few months. Thus, FONHDAD is immediately looking for an experienced laboratory coordinator to lead this project. The laboratory coordinator will be acting also as director of Bas Boen Laboratory.
Under direct supervision of FONHDAD, the Laboratory Coordinator also acting as Bas Boen Laboratory director will work directly and cooperatively with FAMV and Public Works laboratories to ensure that:
- The Bas Boen and the Montrouis Laboratory are well managed;
- The supervision of laboratory technicians
- Sub-samples are delivered to the Bas Boen, FAMV and Public Works Laboratories;
- Samples are logged correctly at each laboratory using provided spreadsheet;
- Methodologies used for analyses are consistent with those outlined in the proposal;
- Quality assurance measures were followed during the analyses;
- Original data sheets and spreadsheets are furnished to NRCS, USDA and MARNDR along with all documentation of methods used by respective facilities
- The validation of data from all laboratories;
- Reports weekly and in case of unforeseen challenges more frequently to the NRCS Coordinator of Haiti Pilot Soil Survey Initiative and the designated USAID staff at Port-au-Prince;
- Perform all the other project related tasks as requested
- Participates in developing and implementing program strategy
- Produces Monthly Calendar of Activities and related updates to share with USAID
- Gather, evaluate, and interpret information.
- Establish partnership with other laboratories in Haiti;
- Promoting Bas Boen laboratory activities to school, universities, NGOs… etc.
The recruitment of this consultant shall be based on the following criteria:
- A university degree in Life Sciences or related fields
- Master degree or PhD preferred.
- A strong proficiency in English and French
- Knowledge of Haitian Creole is preferred, but not required
- Experience maintaining working relationships with all project stakeholders, including coalition building and promotion of public-private partnerships
- Extensive Experience in managing and supervising quality laboratory operations and delivering tests results in a timely manner
- Minimum of five years of management experience.
- Experience in collaborating with team members and respecting set deadlines;
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Good organization and Communication skills
- Please submit a cover letter, resume and copy of diploma (s) to the following email address: email@example.com
- Deadline: June 30, 2014